Pages

The Great Commission

Guess what?  I have been commissioned to paint a pair of nightstands for… can I have a drumroll please… my father-in-law.  Apparently, my husband had shown my father-in-law the nightstands I painted (see my "From Trash to Treasure" blog) and he was rather impressed.  So here I am once again to tackle yet another set of nightstands.



I really wanted to make these nightstands personal and something that my in-laws would cherish.  So after we loaded the furniture into the minivan and started the hour long drive home, I began brainstorming for ideas with my husband.  Does the best idea come when you are driving or what? Because no sooner than we pulled out of their driveway, we came up with a brilliant concept for the nightstands.  We both agreed that my grandchildren crazy in-laws, would be all over a family tree with the names of all their grandchildren.


I had my work cut out for me but luckily they only have five grandchildren so far...  First off, I found an image of a tree structure I like on the internet. And added to it the grandchildren names created using various fonts from “PicMonkey”.

Transferring the images to the nightstands was quite labor intensive.  My hand was stiff and sore from all that tracing, carbon copying and coloring. 


I chose yellow for the nightstands to complement my in-laws' bedroom décor since their house is more of a renaissance style with lots of white and gold colors.  In addition to a coat of clear wax for finish, I also added a touch of dark wax to give them an antique look.







I can’t wait for them to unwrap the nightstands at Christmas.  Oh, did I not tell you that the nightstands are going to be their Christmas present?


6 comments:

  1. These are so cute!!! What a unique & great idea!! Love them!

    Paige.Rose
    www.TheQuaintSanctuary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paige! I'm so glad to know that there are people out there reading my blogs and like what I've done =)

      Delete
  2. Visiting from Friday's Five Features link party, hosted by DIY Vintage Chic (our project was featured too!) We've are new bloggers too, so I wanted to share some comment love! You do great work :) Please stop by for a visit if you have a chance!

    Stacy
    Anastasia Vintage
    http://anastasiavintagehome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these tables. Can you explain how you traced the images and names? I would love to give this one a try. thank you.
    Tess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. I will post a new blog explaining how I do image transfer by the end of the week. Stay tuned.

      Delete